Babies are tender and require intimate observation at all times. They are prone to various environmental instabilities and may not possess the immunity to withstand them.
One such common sickness found in babies is high body temperature. This can be caused by many things and here are some simple remedies that guide how to Reduce High Body Temperature in Babies.
How to Reduce High Body Temperature in Babies
First of all, you need not panic if your baby has a high temperature. It is a sign that your baby’s body is fighting against the cause of high temperature.
If your baby is breastfeeding you never have to worry about the condition. You can just apply the following remedies to reduce the temperature and improve the condition of your baby.
Lemon and Honey
Vitamin C in the lemon and the anti-oxidant properties of Honey help in bringing down the fever efficiently.
- One teaspoon of lemon juice and one tablespoon of honey can be mixed thoroughly in warm water and given to babies.
- This reduces the Body temperature and gives immunity to fight the underlying cause for the high temperature.
Raisins have good anti-bacterial properties and can be great nourishment to babies with a high fever.
- Soak a handful of raisins for two hours. When they have become soft, mash them and feed the babies.
- This can provide your baby with strength as well as be nourishment during high temperatures. This can also help the body reduce fever.
- To reduce the temperature significantly, you can place a wet towel over your child’s head. This brings down the fever as well as enables your baby to be calm.
- Since babies can be fussy during such conditions, you can use a wet cloth to wipe the whole body and reduce the temperature. This helps your baby to rest for a while.
- With lukewarm water, you can also give a sponge bath which helps in bringing down the overall body temperature and aid your baby’s speedy recovery.
Ginger is known for its medicinal values such as anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory.
- Take two tablespoons of ginger powder and mix it in the bathing water.
- Bathe your child in the water for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- The ginger helps in clearing the toxins in the body and induces sweating.
- The water keeps the body cool thus reducing the overall temperature.
Increasing Fluid Intake
Fluids help your baby to retain the energy required to fight the condition. It helps to reduce the inner body temperature.
- You can just give plain water or a simple soup.
- If your baby is younger than 6 months, then breastmilk will be sufficient.
- Whenever your baby is crying for hunger, you can either breastfeed him or give a soup.
- While giving soup try to dilute it as much as possible so that it can be digested easily.
- This keeps your baby hydrated and fights off the high temperature easily.
- Try to keep your baby’s clothing simple and lightweight.
- It is better to use cotton clothes which give better aeration to the body.
- Also, keep your surrounding room cool. If you are using an air conditioned room, try to maintain a temperature of 26 degrees Celsius.
- This aids the body to maintain a normal body temperature as well as reduce the high fever.
- Clothing appropriately will help your baby’s natural heat dissipation.
Does Home Remedies Treatment Harm Babies Health?
No, the home remedies suggested above do not cause any harm to the baby’s body. Rather it aids the baby to recover from the condition sooner.
The home remedies make the situation better and comforting. If you encounter the following symptoms along with a high fever, then you should immediately go to the nearest hospital or pediatrician.
Symptoms to Look out for During High Body Temperature
If your baby is showing a sudden increase or decrease in body temperature.
- Fever is associated with diarrhea and/or vomiting, rash, etc.
- The fever doesn’t drop down in one or two days.
- If your baby doesn’t sleep for long hours.
- If the baby is too fussy and doesn’t rest for even a short period.
Other Home Remedies for Babies:
- How to Treat Pneumonia in Babies Naturally
- How to Prevent a Baby from Getting Stomach Flu
- 11 Home Remedies for Infants with Diarrhea
- How to Cure Baby Thrush at Home
Can We use this Treatment for all Types of Fever?
Fever is an inflammatory reaction to an infection or disease encountered by the body. Except for some unique symptoms which may point towards serious types of fever, the remedies can be used to treat all types of fevers.
If your baby is showing serious symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, rash, etc. then you should be contacting the hospital. Because the fever may be caused due to something more dangerous.
Apart from them, you can use the treatment for all kinds of fever. It will definitely help in reducing the body temperature.
What are the Things to Avoid During High Temperatures?
There are certain things you should follow to avoid worsening the condition in your baby.
- Never give any medication without consulting a healthcare professional.
- Do not apply ice to bring down the fever.
- Do not use cold water and don’t bathe the child for long hours.
- Do not give solid food. Since the body temperature is high, digestion will take long hours and hinders the recovery process.
- Never overdress your child. There should be enough aeration around the body which helps in reducing the temperature.
- Never keep your room too cold or too hot. Try to maintain a comfortable room temperature. If you have air conditioning, maintain a temperature of 26 degrees Celsius.
Babies naturally have immunity from breastmilk. It has the necessary antibodies and fights off any infection.
If the baby encounters such a high fever, then you can use the remedies to seek immediate relief. The remedies keep the baby comfortable and take away the fussiness.