When you are raising a toddler, it is a must to have certain devices in hand which will help in monitoring the baby’s health. One such device is the Thermometer. You need a thermometer for babies because,
- Babies are affected with occasional discomfort and illnesses which causes fever immediately.
- So, a thermometer helps to instantly take note of the temperature rise and go to the physician soon.
- Also, you can monitor the fluctuations in the body temperature periodically.
Therefore, we need a thermometer when there is a baby around to check temperatures periodically and keep their health in check.
Best Thermometer for Babies and Toddlers
We experimented with some of the best thermometers for babies and listed the top five out here.
|Withings Nokia Temporal Thermometer||Unique Infrared Thermometer for Babies||Read Our Expert Review|
|Braun Digital Thermometer||Best Digital Thermometer for Babies||Read Our Expert Review|
|Berrcom Infrared Thermometer||Overall Best Thermometer for Infants||Read Our Expert Review|
|Zoe+Ruth Thermometer||Best Feature Packed Thermometer||Read Our Expert Review|
|Bbluv Infrared Thermometer||Cheap Infrared Thermometer for Babies||Read Our Expert Review|
|OCCObaby Digital Thermometer||Best Contact Thermometer for Babies||Read Our Expert Review|
|iHealth No-Touch Forehead Thermometer||Innovative Thermometer for Babies||Read Our Expert Review|
|VAVA Smart Baby Thermometer||Best Thermometer for Newborns||Read Our Expert Review|
Withings Nokia Temporal Thermometer
The Withings temporal thermometer works has a unique design and has a unique diagnosis method. It has many technological sophistications which makes it a better thermometer than others in the list. It is great for babies and young children.
Our Expert Review
Type – Infrared No Contact
This device has a unique design incorporating some latest tech that helps in reading the temperature to the next level. The thermometer is compact and very handy. It has an LED display with a color-coded alert system that helps you to know the fever’s intensity at once.
You need not have to clean the scanner part often because it is a no-contact thermometer. Easier to use on babies and also adults to instantly know the temperature. Technically, this device has features like smartphone integration. You can connect the device through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and track the change in temperature easily.
The device also lets you detect temperature and store the details for up to 8 different people. This is very useful when you have a lot of children. You can save the details by their name and the device will display the respective name before you take the reading.
Such features in a thermometer give more sophistication and make this device a must-try for all parents out there.
This device takes reading using the infrared heat signature from the temporal artery. Users just have to swipe the scanner on the forehead till they reach the temporal and the device instantly shows the temperature of the body.
It takes only a second or less for detection and it is very snappy. You can keep the scanner away from the forehead up to 1cm which makes it no contact and safe. The data will be automatically synced with the app on your smartphone and you can consult with your physician easily.
- Simple Design – The device is small, compact, and well designed for people to easily hold.
- App Integration – The device can sync with a smartphone app and sync all the data instantly.
- Data storage – It can store reading data for up to 8 people with their names and can be synced with the app.
- Instant Reading – The device can show results in one second or less and makes it very snappy.
- Color Coded Alert – This thermometer can show different colors to indicate fever severity.
- LED Display – The display on this device is good and bright which makes it easy to read under bright conditions too.
- No-Contact – This device is safer to use due to its no-contact reading with infrared.
|Compact Design||Sometimes inaccurate when taking for multiple people|
|No-Contact||Data sync sometimes doesn’t work properly|
|App integration with automatic data sync|
|Color Coded alert|
Braun Digital Thermometer
Braun is a popular company that produces many electronic devices. This thermometer is good and can give accurate results too. For a cheaper price, you get a high-quality contact digital thermometer that can be used on all kinds of people.
Our Expert Review
Type – Digital Contact
This thermometer is designed with a sleek and compact body. Since it is a contact-type thermometer, the scanning head is ergonomically bent to easily place it over the forehead. Parents can naturally place it over the baby’s forehead and detect the temperature.
It has one power button to turn on/off the device and it has a scan button to read the temperature. The scanner can be cleaned easily if you are using it on multiple people. The backlit display with a color-coded alert system is very handy to know the readings faster.
It also has a toggle switch under the battery cover to shift between Celsius and Fahrenheit units of the temperature readings. There is no silent mode and the device is powered by AAA batteries which enables easy portability. Overall this device has a good design that is easy to use on babies.
It is a digital thermometer that has electronic sensors to read the temperature when physical contact is made with the object.
This device is designed to detect the temperature from the forehead and you cannot use it elsewhere. Also, you have to make sure that the forehead and the scanner are clean before reading the temperature. There are no other modes available with this device.
- Ergonomic Design – You can easily place the device on the forehead and detect the temperature with very less effort.
- Battery powered – The device requires only two AAA batteries and this makes it portable.
- Color-coded Alert – The temperature readings are color-coded to indicate high, mild, and normal body temperatures.
- Unit Toggle – You can switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit on this device.
|Good design||No silent mode|
|Color-coded display||Requires proper cleaning of the scanner|
Berrcom Infrared Thermometer
This device from Berrcom is the best infrared thermometer for babies at a very low price and good quality. It is easily recommended for all ages and any type of usage.
Our Expert Review
Type – Infrared No Contact
This device is designed like a speed gun where you have a trigger-like button that can be pressed to detect the temperature of any object or body without touching it physically. The handle is ergonomically designed to fit the hands while holding.
It has a fairly bright and large display. It gives a color-coded alert during temperature rise which is very effective for instant readings. There are three buttons to the side with which you can switch the device to silent mode, change the mode of detection, and check the previous readings.
It gives out an alarm beep during high fevers and if you want, you can turn it on or keep it silent. This device is very sophisticated and popularly used in public places for instant fever detection. You can comfortably use it on children and infants to get the reading instantly. There are two sets of speakers present on the hand of the gun to give a loud alert.
There are three modes of detection. One mode enables you to check the temperature of the human body by keeping the device in front of the forehead. The second mode enables you to check the temperature of the surrounding room. The third enables you to find out the temperature of objects or a liquid like water.
The units can also be toggled to Celsius or Fahrenheit. The color-coded alert is highly useful. Overall, this device has good accuracy and design which can be easily recommended for use on children.
- Gun Design – This is a popular design for a thermometer that enables you to get the temperature of a person from a significant distance and is very comfortable to hold too.
- Three Modes – The device can optimize to check body temperatures, room temperatures, and object temperatures.
- Color Coded Alert – The display can give you three colors when the temperature rises and alerts you with a mild and high fever.
- Silent/Voice Mode – You can toggle between Voice mode and silent mode on this device whenever you need.
- Memory – This device can recall up to 32 previous readings that help in keeping track of the children’s body temperature easily.
- Unit Toggle – You can easily switch from Celsius to Fahrenheit in this device.
|Ergonomic Design||Sometimes may not be very accurate|
|Three Detection Modes|
|Color Coded Alert|
|32 Readings can be stored|
The Zoe+Ruth Thermometer provides just the right features expected in a temperature measuring device. It is worth the price and you are provided with a lot of options with sophistication. Highly recommended for babies and infants.
Our Expert Review
Type – Infrared No Contact
This is yet another thermometer with a sleek and premium design with heavy features. It has a sophisticated backlit display with color-coded alerts for different fever temperatures. The display can show you different modes, previous reading, Silent/Voice mode, and battery level.
The device can hold information up to 40 readings and it is very useful for checking your baby’s temperature at regular intervals. The device has one button for scanning the temperature and another button to choose different functions.
There is a silent mode that can be enabled with a single touch and it doesn’t disturb the baby when taking readings at night. Since there are multiple modes available you can choose the more suitable mode to achieve highly accurate readings. The manufacturer also provides a case with this device so that you can carry it around safely.
This device has some of the most sophisticated modes to suit all conditions and people. There is a forehead mode for adults and separately for children, an Ear mode suitable for infants and also for adults, a Room temperature mode, and an object temperature mode.
Each mode considers the parameters that differ while reading the temperature to give an accurate result every time you scan for the temperature. Once you change the mode and scan, you can get the result within a second.
You can change the device’s unit from Celsius to Fahrenheit whichever suits your convenience. Overall this device is a great thermometer for infants and toddlers.
- Comfortable Sleek Design – The device has excellent comfort to hold and has a sleek body to be used easily by anyone.
- Five mode Detection – There are five distinct modes that enable the user to accurately find the temperature of different objects, rooms, adults, and children of different ages.
- Color Coded Alert – The device warns you of mild and high fever with color warnings using the display.
- Stores Readings – The device can store 40 readings and helps you to keep track of the baby’s body temperature easily.
- Silent Mode – You can switch to silent mode with one touch and avoid disturbing the baby.
- Large Display – The backlit display in this device is large and comfortable for all users to read the results.
- Unit Toggle – You can switch to Celsius and Fahrenheit according to your requirement easily.
|Sleek Design||Might have some accuracy issues|
|Five Detection Modes|
|Good Backlit display|
|Memory for readings|
|Free Carrying Case|
|Suitable for objects and rooms too|
Bbluv Infrared Thermometer
Bbluv is a reliable thermometer for babies, adults, and objects too. It shows accurate readings most of the time and its silent operation is very useful, especially for babies.
Our Expert Review
Type – Infrared No Contact
Under the 50$ mark, we have a good design thermometer that has four different detection modes that can be done without making any contact. This device is ergonomically designed to fit all hands and the scanner head is quite wide to cover a large area.
The display is quite large and shows a large font to easily read from any angle. The backlit display shows color-coded alerts during mild and high fever. This device can store up to 32 previous readings that help you to keep track of the temperature of the body.
There are four buttons on the device. One button is to scan for temperature, one button enables you to change modes, a unit toggle button to shift from Celsius to Fahrenheit, and a distinct memory button to display previous readings. All these are highly required features in a thermometer.
The device uses only infrared non-contact detection. But it has four different modes which enable you to take the temperature of a baby or an adult, check the bath water, find out the temperature of food or milk bottle, and check the room temperature.
There are no alarms or beep sounds after detection or to notify high fever. Therefore, you need not worry about nighttime readings for your baby. This device is optimized to take the reading on the forehead. So, you cannot use it elsewhere and get proper readings.
Handy Design with Wide Scanner – The device has an ergonomic design with a wide scanner at the front for convenient detection.
Four Detection Modes – The different modes help you to find the right temperature accurately.
No Voice/Alarms – There aren’t any beep sounds or alarms in this device which enables silent readings during the night.
Stores Memory – The thermometer can store 32 readings which helps you in knowing the fever status.
Unit Toggle – You can change from Celsius to Fahrenheit or Vice versa with a single press of a button.
|Good Design||Might not be accurate every time|
|Four Detection Modes||No ear detection|
|Color Coded alert|
OCCObaby Digital Thermometer
OCCObaby Digital Thermometer is the cheapest device for babies and you can rely on it easily for temperature readings. Although it requires a thorough cleaning, those who don’t want to spend much can make use of this device.
Our Expert Review
Type – Digital Contact
Being a digital thermometer, it has one of the most flexible designs you can find in a thermometer. It has a soft flexible stem with a medically approved silver tip.
The overall size of the device is very compact but it has a decent display that is big enough to show the readings comfortably. Although the display is not color coded or backlit, you can see the readings easily.
It has a single power button which can also be used to change the units from Celsius to Fahrenheit and vice versa. You can simply turn on the device and place it appropriately to detect the temperature.
The flexible probe and the tip are waterproof. Therefore, you can clean it thoroughly after examination to use it on other people. On the whole, this device has a great design that suits infants and toddlers for taking their body temperature reading.
This is a digital thermometer that uses electronic sensors to read the temperature of the body. The device can be used orally, rectally, and under the armpit. Since it is waterproof, you can wash it after usage to be safely used on other children.
It takes about 10 seconds to detect and this is quite faster when compared to other digital thermometers in this price range. It has a good battery life too.
While using new you can have accurate readings but after a year or two, you may have to change the device to have more accuracy. This device is suitable for infants and toddlers with whom we cannot take oral readings.
- Flexible Probe – The design of the device is good and has a great probe that can bend according to the comfort of the usage, especially for rectal readings.
- Three modes – The device can be used orally, rectally, and under the armpit according to the child’s age.
- Waterproof – You can clean the device thoroughly with water so that it is safe to use on other people.
- Unit toggle – You can change the unit from Celsius to Fahrenheit.
- Fast reading – Unlike other digital thermometers, this device can produce results in 10 seconds.
- Compact and Small – Due to its small size you can easily carry it around
|Baby-Friendly design||Thorough Cleaning is required|
|Waterproof||Might not be always accurate|
|Three detection modes||Have to be replaced after continuous usage for a year|
|Unit Toggle||No case or pouch for carrying|
iHealth No-Touch Forehead Thermometer
iHealth No-Touch Forehead Thermometer is one of the best infrared devices for babies. It has good look and good accuracy. The silent feedback is good but the absence of color-coded alerts is a disadvantage. Overall this is a good thermometer for infants.
Our Expert Review
Type – Infrared No Contact
This no-contact thermometer has a futuristic design with a compact size and is easy to carry around. The fully white design has a bright LED display that can show the readings in a comfortably large font. It looks classy and premium.
It has a single large button that takes reading and the device automatically shuts off after some time. The scanner head is curved for comfortable placement on the forehead which makes it easier to use on babies even during their sleep.
It has three sensors to detect the temperature accurately. The device also provides quiet feedback through mild vibrations when it completes detection. Therefore, you can easily rely on this device during the night for silent temperature readings. The unit can also be switched from Celsius to Fahrenheit.
This device uses the infrared method to find the temperature. This device doesn’t need contact rather you can keep the device away from the skin and get the reading. It is optimized to use only on the forehead. Therefore, it has only one mode of detection.
It is faster unlike digital thermometers and provides a more accurate reading due to three infrared sensing units. The mild vibration feedback is very useful during the night and helps in finding the temperature of babies without any fuss.
- Premium Design – Although it is a thermometer, the device has been designed to look premium and gives a comfortable feel to use.
- Bright LED display – This device has a convenient display that helps you with night visibility and has a large font.
- Quiet Feedback – You can feel slight vibration feedback when the device completed its reading and it is very good for babies.
- Three sensor setup – There are three sensors to calculate the temperature and it calculates the external environment and the distance from the skin while calculation.
- Unit toggle – You can change the unit from Celsius to Fahrenheit for convenience.
|Stylish Sleek Design||No color-coded alert|
|Bright Display||Requires close placement of the device for accuracy|
|Quiet Vibration Feedback|
|Three Sensor For Accurate Detection|
VAVA Smart Baby Thermometer
The VAVA Smart Baby Thermometer is specially made for comfortable use on babies and to have a periodical check on their temperature. It is priced affordably and it is worth the cost. Highly recommended for babies that get sick very often. It is the best thermometer for toddlers.
Our Expert Review
Type – Strip Contact
This device is specifically designed for newborns and infants. It comes in two units where one unit is the strip monitor that can be attached to the baby’s body and the other one is the reading unit that displays the temperature.
The reading unit has a 72-hour battery life and the strip patch can sustain up to 24hrs. The strip can be recharged within 1.5hrs so that it can hang around the baby all day or all night.
Both the strip and the unit are sleek and compact. The monitor has a bright screen providing constant read on the temperature of the baby’s body. Whenever there is a 0.5 degrees Celsius increase, it gives an alarm which is a very useful feature in knowing the baby’s current fever status.
The alert system also has blinking LED lights that shine red during high fever and it helps us to take the baby to the physician at the right time. The monitor can be placed 50ft away from the strip which is a good range and doesn’t disturb the baby during alerts. The monitor has to be recharged for three hours and can withstand up to 72 hours.
It is a strip-type thermometer that has an electronic sensor to detect the temperature of the body. It is placed on the baby’s side where the strip contacts and points to the area just below the armpit. It continuously detects the temperature and notifies it to the monitor through low RF waves which doesn’t harm the baby.
It doesn’t store the readings but it can show the real-time readings and can alert you when there is a significant increase. Although it is best suited for babies, you can use it on adults and young children also. The units can also be toggled from Celsius to Fahrenheit according to the user’s preferences.
- Baby-friendly Design – The two-unit setup enables the parents to place the monitor in their bedroom and monitor the temperature changes easily without disturbing the baby.
- High-Temperature Alerts – The monitor can produce a high fever alert with blinking red LED lights and helps to look after the children in a better way.
- Long Lasting – Even though the strip needs to be charged, it can last comfortably for 24hrs which means you can use it for two nights without charging.
- Hassle-Free – you don’t have to disturb the child to make reading every time. Rather, you can simply place the strip and get instant results.
- Long Range – The monitor can be placed in another room or 50ft away from the baby so that the child’s sleep is not disturbed during alerts.
- Bright Display – The display is fairly bright and has large fonts so that you can monitor comfortably.
- Unit toggle – You can switch the device’s working unit from Celsius to Fahrenheit easily.
|Infant Friendly||Accuracy might not be great all the times|
|Bright Display||You have to charge the units periodically|
|Long Working Range||Have to replace the double-side gel stickers often|
|Strip Type with Monitor|
|High Battery Capacity|
|Hassle-Free temperature checks|
|Good Alert system|
What We Recommend?
|Our Winning Product||Expert Review||Product Links|
|Berrocom Infrared Thermometer||CLICK HERE||CHECK PRICE|
|Zoe+Ruth Thermometer||CLICK HERE||CHECK PRICE|
The Berrocom Infrared Thermometer is the best no-contact device for children and adults.
- It has all the necessary features and sophistication to use on babies
- The accuracy is high end for a very low price.
- The gun-like design is easier to handle
- Its detection modes are very useful and reliable every time.
- Easy to operate, this device is a must-have in every home especially if you have more kids.
The Zoe+Ruth is the best infrared thermometer with more features. We chose this in our recommended thermometers because,
- There are a ton of features with this device
- It can store up to 40 readings for convenience
- Silent mode to avoid disturbance to the babies
- Both forehead and in-ear mode available
Buying Guide For Baby Thermometer
We know that a thermometer is very much required these days. But you should know how to choose one since there are several types and models. Let us get to know the factors you should consider before buying a thermometer for your baby.
- You must choose a device that is easy to handle around babies. Although oral and rectal thermometers are cheaper, they usually disturb the child especially if they are sleeping. Therefore, try to get a No-Contact Infrared Thermometer that can safely take the reading without making any contact with the skin.
- Get a device that can store the readings up to a certain limit so that you can keep track of the temperature rise or fall.
- Choose a thermometer that has a large backlit display and can show the readings in a large font convenient for reading.
- If your device has alerts or alarms, you should be able to put the device into silent mode. This helps you to take the reading at night.
- Make sure the device comes with a case so that you can easily carry it around safe and secure.
- Ensure that the device has two or three modes of detection. It is better to have both forehead and in-ear detection so that children and adults can use it.
- If your thermometer can find out the room and object temperatures, it is an added advantage.
- The device you are buying should have a unit toggle feature to switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit.
- The thermometer must be accurate at least most of the times.
Consider these guidelines before buying a thermometer for your family and kids. This will help you to choose the right device.
What is the Best Type of Thermometer for a Baby?
Infrared thermometers are the best for detecting temperature in babies without disturbing them in any way. Thermometers can be classified according to the technology they use to determine the temperature. Let us look at the differences and find out more about thermometer usage.
It is the oldest form of thermometer used to find the instantaneous temperature of any material or body. The liquid mercury raises when there is an increase in temperature and using this fluctuation temperature readings are taken. Although this thermometer has good accuracy, it is not recommended for usage in children due to the risk of mercury poisoning.
These thermometers replaced mercury with a sensor that can detect the temperature change and provide a digital reading too. This device has better accuracy and it is also safe to use. You can either use it orally or rectally or under the armpits. The only disadvantage of this type is that it has to be disinfected with every usage. Also, they tend to have a short lifespan which may lead to inaccurate readings.
Tympanic or Ear Thermometers
It works like a digital thermometer but the contact is made inside the ear. With the help of a small probe-like structure that makes contact with just the entrance of the ear canal, you can measure the body temperature easily. You can use this even if the baby is sleeping. There is no drawback in this device if you are careful while using the device in the ear.
This is the best type of thermometer for toddlers and babies. It doesn’t have to make any contact and just by pointing the infrared gun toward the baby’s body, it can measure the temperature and accurately give a reading. This no-contact thermometer is best for all people.
Apart from this, there is also a Strip thermometer where you will stick a strip on the baby’s head which measures the temperature. But it doesn’t show an accurate reading.
Also read this too
- How to Reduce High Body Temperature in Babies
- Best Baby Bath Tub for Travel
- Best Bath Seats for 6 Months Old Babies
- How to Treat Pneumonia in Babies Naturally
- How to Prevent a Baby from Getting Stomach Flu
- How to Cure Baby Thrush at Home
Everyone should carry a thermometer with them so that it helps them to keep a check on their internal body temperature. Especially if you are a parent, you should possess one to monitor the health of your young infants and children.
These top products and the guidelines will help you choose the best product according to your liking and ensures proper temperature monitoring with high accuracy.
Grab a thermometer right away and keep track of your baby’s health more effectively.
Disclosure: The posts may contain affiliate links through which may receive a commission